Tuesday, December 31, 2013

34 wks 3 days

I've had far more aversions than cravings this pregnancy. For about 6 months, food was mostly horrible, save the occasional Ruffles potato chip or little container of chocolate pudding. But last week a friend brought over some fancy Italian lemon sorbet, and the pure white color and the exquisite texture and the bright snowy coldness made it basically the greatest thing I had experienced in a long time. I couldn't stop carving perfect spoonfuls out of the container. I never wanted to stop. I wanted to be eating it for the rest of my life.

Soon the container was empty. The next day on Facebook, Midwestern friends were posting pictures of their snowy yards and all I could think was how delicious it all looked. Picture after picture of white fluffy sorbet. I was, for the first (and likely last) time, jealous of their Midwestern winter.

For days I couldn't shake my craving, I realized things were getting out of hand when I saw footage of a ship trapped in Antarctic ice and thought, I want to eat that.

Finally I just had to send Jared out for more sorbet. I ate it lying in bed on a cool Los Angeles December evening and felt peace on earth, goodwill towards men. And now I shall have some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment